Music This Week
Jesus’ Claims About Himself
48 The Jews answered him, “Aren’t we right in saying that you are a Samaritan and demon-possessed?”
49 “I am not possessed by a demon,” said Jesus, “but I honor my Father and you dishonor me. 50 I am not seeking glory for myself; but there is one who seeks it, and he is the judge. 51 Very truly I tell you, whoever obeys my word will never see death.”
52 At this they exclaimed, “Now we know that you are demon-possessed! Abraham died and so did the prophets, yet you say that whoever obeys your word will never taste death. 53 Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?”
54 Jesus replied, “If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me. 55 Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and obey his word. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.”
57 “You are not yet fifty years old,” they said to him, “and you have seen Abraham!”
58 “Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!” 59 At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.
Jesus Always Honors the Father
18 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. - John 15:18
38 For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. - John 6:38
Jesus Offers Life
63 The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit and life.
68 Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. - John 6:63, 68
The assurance relates to life which physical death cannot extinguish; the believer receives eternal life, over which death has no power and which is destined for resurrection. - George R. Beasley-Murray
13 Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. 14 For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. - 1 Thessalonians 4:13-14
Jesus is God
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. - John 1:1
There never was but one way of salvation, one Savior, and one hope for sinners, and that Abraham and all the Old Testament saints looked to the same Christ that we look to ourselves. - J.C. Ryle
- We are starting our new "I Am" series as we approach the Easter season. What comes to your mind when you think of Easter? How do most people around us think about Easter?
- Our series focuses on the person and work of Jesus throughout his earthly ministry. What aspect(s) of His earlthly ministry interest you the most? Why?
- How would you define biblical submission? How can Jesus claim He is one with the Faterh (John 10:30) and yet be fully submissive to the Father?
- Read John 15:18. Are we persecuted for our faith today? If so, have you personally experienced it?
- Read 1 Thessalonians 4:13-14. How does this passage offer hope for those suffering in this present world? Does this passage give you hope?
- What is something the Lord has been teaching you this week?