Sermon Scripture and Outline
Sermon Scripture - 1 Peter 4:1-11
The Christian way is different: harder, and easier. Christ says, ‘Give me All. I don’t want so much of your time and so much of your money and so much of your work: I want you. I have not come to torment your natural self, but to kill it. No half-measures are any good. I don’t want to cut off a branch here and a branch there, I want to have the whole tree down. I don’t want to drill the tooth, or crown it, or stop it, but to have it out. Hand over the whole natural self, all the desires which you think innocent as well as the ones you think wicked- the whole outfit. I will give you a new self instead. In fact, I will give you myself: my own will shall be yours.’ - C.S. Lewis - Is Christianity Hard or Easy?
- 1 Peter 1:15-16
- 1 Peter 2:21
- Galatians 5:16
- 1 Corinthians 12:7
...we see…that death does not hinder Christ from being always our defender. It is a remarkable consolation to the godly that death itself brings this life, yet His redemption is not void, or without effect, for His power extends even to the dead. - John Calvin
- Romans 6:5-11
- Is it hard to be a Christian? Why or why not?
- What does it mean to surrender everything to Christ? Are there any areas of your life that are more difficult to surrender?
- Read Galatians 5:16-18. What do you believe Paul is saying in these verses about the Christian life? What role does the Spirit play in the life of a believer?
- What is your spiritual gift and are you using it currently? What is one or more ways that you could use this gift for the kingdom?
- Is is possible for Christians to have assurance of salvation? Read Romans 6:5-11 for a biblical answer.
- What is something the Lord has been teaching you this week?