Sermon Scripture and Outline
Sermon Scripture - Luke 1:5-23, 67-79
We tend to romanticize shepherds, especially since there are so many good ones in the Bible, but they did not enjoy a very good reputation. They lived out in fields and were unable to keep the ceremonial law (therefore seen as unclean). They were regarded as liars and thieves, which is why their testimony was inadmissible in a court of law. Shepherds were despised. - Philip Ryken
- 1 Corinthians 1:26-29
- John 3:16-17
- Genesis 3:15
- Isaiah 53:5
Worship is the proper response of all moral, sentient beings to God, ascribing all honor and worth to their Creator-God precisely because he is worthy, delightfully so. - D.A. Carson
Now is come the highest degree of glory to God, by the appearing of His Son Jesus Christ in the world. He by His life and death on the cross will glory God’s attributes, justice, holiness, mercy, and wisdom, as they were never glorified before. - J.C. Ryle
- How would you respond to a person that says the gospel message is exclusive?
- What does 1 Corinthians 1:26-29 teach us about the gospel? What are some of the ways that God used unexpected means to get the gospel message to the world?
- Read Isaiah 53. What does Isaiah tell us about the coming Messiah? Why do you think many people were shocked by Jesus' own statements that He came to die even though it was told by the prophets?
- Many theologians have said the incarnation (birth of Christ) is the most significant event in history. Would you agree with that statement?
- What are some practical ways we can worship and rejoice in the joy that is ours during the Advent season?
- What is something the Lord has been teaching you this week?