Sermon Scripture and Outline
Sermon Scripture - Ephesians 1:3-14
Election sets the soul on fire with enthusiastic delight in God. - Charles Spurgeon
Chosen By God
- Genesis 1:26-27
Chosen in Christ
After God had made all other creatures, he created man, male and female, with reasonable and immortal souls, endued with knowledge, righteousness, and true holiness, after his own image; having the law of God written on their hearts, and power to fulfill it. - Westminster Confession of Faith 4.2
- Philippians 2:5-8
Assured By The Spirit
- John 14:15-17
- Paul uses the phrase according to His (God's) will four times in this passage (vv. 1, 5, 9, 11). Why is this idea so important to Paul and our understanding of election?
- What benefits do we receive as co-heirs with Christ? How do we receive these benefits?
- Read Philippians 2:5-8. What are the expectations for us from this passage? What do we learn about Jesus in this passage?
- Do you struggle with the doctrine of election? Why or why not?
- How would you define the gospel? What passage(s) would you use to explain it biblically?
- What is something the Lord has been teaching you this week?